This is the second time I’ve used the McCalls 6951 pattern, so I thought it would be straightforward. A quick sewing project.
Turns out I had set myself a bit of a challenge on this one. I made a real Rookie mistake. I had underestimated the repeat (the length of the fabric until the pattern starts to repeat) and ordered too little fabric. It was not going to be easy to cut out all the pieces and match seams at the same time.
I’m a stickler for matching seams. Especially the front and back. My needlework teacher’s story about sitting behind someone in church, with a non-matching back seam in their dress, has haunted me ever since.
I spent the best part of a Sunday morning rearranging the paper pieces on the fabric, until I came up with a creative solution. I cut out the front pieces so they matched. There was no option. It had to match at the front. Continue reading
While I add the finishing touches to my latest sewing project, I admit, I do ponder about the best place to photograph it. Take the latest blouse I’ve made for Eldest. It’s floral. I couldn’t help thinking that a beautiful garden in full, flamboyant bloom would fit the bill.
So. This week we revisited Bishop’s Palace in Wells.
Apart from the wonderful waterside views, it does have beautiful flower gardens. Perfect. Continue reading