Welcome to our blog.

….. Making pretty things
….. Simple living
….. Growing a family

Three children (17, 15, 12)*** Two parents *** one dog *** Country loving *** Cottage dwelling in the South-West of the UK. That’s us!

We’ve been blogging since January 2010, about everyday happenings that bring us joy.

Just a thought….

“A moment spent in wonder is worth a lifetime spent in awe.”

HIBS100 Index of Home and Interior Blogs
HIBS100

Sticky

Recent Comments

Rambling around the kitchen table

Slow start this morning, due to a well timed inset day. No school for us, followed by a week’s holiday. I thought I’d sneak around downstairs and have a quiet cup of tea, before the rest descended. No sooner did I put the kettle on, than a voice from upstairs requested a cup too. And so our half term begins.

This week has been filled with sorting out and setting up. Nothing exciting. Just stuff that has to be done. Moving project files from one imaginary tray to another equally imaginary tray.

We survived Storm Ciara, last weekend, with only a little damage. It really did blow a hooley. My potting shed shed a tile and one of the fences is damaged. It was weak. Putting up a new fence is scheduled for this spring already, it’s just Ciara stole a march and knocked it down early. Everywhere is squelchy mud, so not much fun sorting it out now. Also, we have Storm Dennis to look forward to this weekend. With his “chances of flooding” forecast. Fun and games.

One good thing about stormy weather is that I have the best excuse to get on with a bit of crafting. I tidied my sewing desk, at the weekend, and set up my old Singer sewing machine. I love working with this machine. I made my leather coin purse. I’ve also started on my next project, which I hope to share soon.

Also delved into my unfinished yarn projects. The ones that somehow sink to the bottom of the pile. I finished one quick one and moved on to another. This one will take longer. Already frogged it once. I know I said I wouldn’t, but I’ve picked up another jumper. It was too pretty to leave, half started. Challenging stitch pattern to keep my brain ticking over.

Always with a cup of tea.

Mainly herbal tea.

Tea is taking on a new role in our house. I gave up coffee at the end of last year and noticed that my headaches and migraines stopped. I used to drink coffee and my head would be eased. Now I take no coffee and have no headaches. The circle is broken. Couple of months now and it is still true. I’m so glad I’m giving it a miss.

Another upside is that I find I’m putting the kettle on for not just me. Eldest and Youngest join me. Chatting as I make the brew. Tea is a fairly recent discovery for them. What is it about tea that brings people together? I’m looking forward to harvesting fresh herbs from the garden again and working on some new combinations, with the children. Simple pleasures.

So here’s to a good half term.We have a few fun ideas for the week, which will be more fun if the weather behaves. Seems we are in the lap of the Gods, or maybe I should say at the mercy of  Dennis, and I hear Storm Ellen is on the horizon too, as far as storms are concerned. She’s meant to be even bigger.

More squelchy mud.

Did I say I’ve got a few craft projects on the go?

Joining in with Anne’s Word of the Week linky. Seeing as I’ve been rambling on, my word is rambling, which is code word for “I’m making pretty things and ignoring the mud”. How about you?

Word of the Week linky

20 Responses to Rambling around the kitchen table

• Anne says:

I’m good at rambling 🙂 I’m a big tea drinker myself, but I buy my herbal teas, my experiments have not gone that well. We have a busy half term ahead…well, mostly hubby as he has to re-arrange the bedroom to make room for my lift. At least with the kids off school he won’t have to stop work to pick them up.x

• Laurie says:

Are those daffodils outside? If so, I am very jealous. Mine are up, but nowhere near blooming yet and I have spring fever. I hope you and the children have a good vacation week. y daughter-in-law just gave me a sleepy time herbal tea, which I have been drinking before bedtime. It’s quite good and does help me sleep.

• Craft Mother says:

The daffodils are outside our front door. Just beginning to open. To cold in the rest of the garden. I have a sleepy time herbal tea. I’m a morning person, so not sure if it is the tea or just me running out of steam, but I do sleep well. 😆

• Kim Carberry says:

Ahh! It sounds like a nice start to the half term holidays.
    It sounds like you did quite well with Storm Ciara. We had a damaged fence too. Ugh.
    I love that coin purse. Well done you.
    I have cut back on the coffee too. I have one cup on a morning and then decaf tea the rest of the day. I feel better for it. My girls love a cuppa as long as there is a biscuit or two to dunk.
    Have a lovely half term x

• The storm was awful it was scary up here on our hill at times, but we are away unscathed. Its incredible the effect coffee has isn’t it? I am still having 2 a day but not missing the copious volumes I was drinking before. But am enjoying drinking tea its not something I have ever drank before but prefer the flavours. And I love getting up before everyone else and having half an hour of calm before all the madness x

• Craft Mother says:

Getting up before everyone else is such a good way to start the day. Means I have everything sorted before they distract me!

• Hope you don’t get too much of a battering from Storm Dennis or Storm Ellen. I think we missed the worst of Storm Ciara and hopefully the next couple of storms don’t hit too hard. I love a nice cup of tea and it is one of those things that is good for bringing people together. I’ve been trying to cut down on the coffee and switch to tea. Lovely to have a slow start to half term with an inset day. I love your coin purse. #WotW

• Craft Mother says:

It’s interesting that so many people are cutting back on their coffee. I’m discovering some lovely tea blends. Herbal, always.

• Karen says:

Storm Dennis is blowing outside my house at the moment. Tea always brings people together no matter what’s happening, the kettle always goes on 😀

• Crummy Mummy says:

We have an inset day at the end of half term this year – the start of yours sounds calm & relaxing! #MMBC

• Haha! What is it with putting the kettle on and then the world and his dog want one too? I am a tea belly so it is generally me who makes it. I kicked the coffee in to touch when I was getting the most awful migraines. Caffeine is not my friend.
    I love your coin purse. I need a new craft to be getting on with, I’m just lacking inspiration at the mo.
    I hope you have a lovely half term. x

• Carol says:

Glad you didn’t have substantial damage from the storm. I’m so impressed you made that leather purse. #MMBC

• Catherine says:

I should probably give up coffee too but I like it so much. I have heard that once you get over that difficult patch it is easier but I don’t think I’m addicted, I only drink two cups a day.

#MMBC

Photos
There have been cases when people lifted my photos and words, and used them without credit to me or asking permission first. Using them for their own commercial gain. I have now added a level of security to deter people from doing this. Apologies to people who do play nicely. If you would like to use any of my photos, please contact me.