Welcome to our blog.

….. We make
….. We explore
….. We nuture

Three children (17, 15, 12)*** Two parents *** one dog *** Country loving *** Cottage dwelling in the South-West of the UK. That’s us!

We’ve been blogging since January 2010, about everyday happenings that bring us joy.

Just a thought….

“A moment spent in wonder is worth a lifetime spent in awe.”

HIBS100 Index of Home and Interior Blogs
HIBS100

Sticky

Recent Comments

Garden (word of the week)

Another week of gorgeous weather. We’ve eaten out in the garden most evenings. I’ve been working late and opted for picnic style, cold meals, so I can cut down on preparation time. The kind of meals that transport me straight into holiday mode, when eaten al fresco. School is winding down for the children, which means they are right there with me.

We’ve spent a fair amount of time in the garden. Everyone takes turns to help me water in the evenings. The kitchen garden has doubled in growth just this week. Stopping myself from wishing the time to fly, but I am looking forward to heading for the kitchen garden again, rather than the shops for all of our fresh produce needs. Already enjoying salad straight from the garden.

The garden takes a fair bit of work. No doubt about that. I have fresh appreciation for all the childhood gardens I remember. I grow poppies and big daisies in one part of the garden, which are the plants I remember from my grandparents’ garden. These flowers always seemed to tower over me, as I ran around their garden back in the 70s. The strange thing is, that the daisies, I grow, still tower over me. The poppies may still be from seeds from their garden, but I’m not sure. It’s been too long*.

(*Reference to me remembering not the viability of the poppy seeds. I read that it’s been shown that 50 years on and poppy seeds can still germinate.)

Lots of badminton and ball games being played out in the garden too. I love hearing the laughter. We’ve also been crafting outside. I’ve taken my knitting outside, a few times for a break. I pull a bench into the orchard. It’s covered in lichen and moss, which makes a great natural cushion. Favourite spot in the middle of the day.

The children made the most of painting outside last weekend. I love their artwork. The thyme plant, is doing well in Youngest’s blue baboon wall planter.

Apart from a week filled with garden time (update: the garden goddess has worked her magic), we’ve been missing one member of the family as Eldest teen is off on a science school trip. Judging by her texts (few and far between), it sounds like it’s been long hours of actual school work and she’s ready to come home. Bit different from her usual school trips which involve going abroad and sound distinctly more like holidays than work.

It is the quiet before the storm. Next week looks like a much busier week, so I’m glad for a quieter time this week. I’ll still have garden to escape to.

Joining in Anne’s Word of the Week. My word is garden.

Word of the Week linky

22 Responses to Garden (word of the week)

• Anne says:

My living room is currently in my garden and I’m hoping it doesn’t rain!! Your photos are lovely and it’s good to hear you’ve been making the most of your garden. I’m so jealous of your fresh produce (I’m pretty sure I’ve expressed my jealousy before!) I have had a few educational weeks (As an adult) and I have loved working all day. It really takes your mind off anything else and puts you in focus. I hope your daughter gets chance to relax when she gets home. Thanks for linking up to #wotw

• Craft Mother says:

Growing your own food is a tough habit to break, even if I wanted too. 😆 Can’t imagine a summer without it. I’m pretty she’ll have enjoyed it more than she thinks. She seems to have a good group of friends, so I’m guessing that will help.

• Your garden sounds amazing, lots of the plants in my garden are courtesy of my green-fingered neighbour as they grow through from her side. I would love to grow lots more and spent some time this week learning which of the many things growing were weeds and how to tell the difference. I love the Baboon planter what brilliant reuse of plastic. Hope you have a nice weekend x

• Craft Mother says:

I have a fair few plants coming through the fence too. Fortunately, I like them all. You’ll have to check out what your neighbour is growing in the rest of their garden, because it will probably do well in yours. The blue baboon greets everyone who comes to the kitchen door. 😆

• So lovely to be able to spend so much time in your garden. Love cold picnic style teas out in the garden and being able to pick your own produce from your kitchen garden is wonderful – but yes a lot of work too! How lovely that your poppies grow from seeds that were from your grandparents’ garden. Hope your eldest enjoys her science school trip 🙂 #WotW

• Craft Mother says:

I have added so many different poppies over the years that I’m not sure if these ones are from my neighbour, grandparents or ones I’ve bought. All beautiful thought, which is all that matters.

• Kim Carberry says:

My girls have been eating outside a lot too this past week. I can’t, all the bugs drive me crazy.
    Your garden sounds like a little bit of paradise!

• Craft Mother says:

Sorry the bugs are putting you off. Can be annoying if they get too persistent. Touch wood, but we seem to have been OK so far this year.

• Our weather has been hit and miss, i love it when we get the chance to eat out in the garden more, and i hope i develop your passion for gardening having only just started out, but i do have grand plans for next year and like you appreciate the work that went into my childhood garden x

• Sounds absolutely lovely for the summer holidays – even the weather co-operating 🙂

• Laurie says:

Your garden is beautiful. I love your scarecrow – even she is crafty! There is nothing better than eating salad straight from your own garden.

• Karen says:

Home grown is so much nicer isn’t it? I’ve had success with potatoes and the tomatoes are looking good.. don’t mention the carrots though.. LOL

• Sam says:

I am envious of you having a garden. Lovely to sit out in the sunshine and eat your meal. Looks lovely X #wotw

• Crummy Mummy says:

We’ve been up at our allotment watering every day too – could really do with some meaningful rain now, although I’m not complaining! #MMBC

• Susan Mann says:

The garden looks fantastic. I love the upside down bottle and the little art pieces you have in there. I wish I was better at gardening it is so neglected. xx

Photos
There have been cases when people lifted my photos and words, and used them without credit to me or asking permission first. Using them for their own commercial gain. I have now added a level of security to deter people from doing this. Apologies to people who do play nicely. If you would like to use any of my photos, please contact me.