Welcome to our blog.

….. We make
….. We explore
….. We nuture

Three children *** Two parents *** one dog *** Country loving *** Cottage dwelling in the South-West of the UK. That’s us!

We’ve been blogging since January 2010, about everyday happenings that bring us joy.

You can find me here
  • RSS Feed for Posts
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Flickr
  • Instagram

Just a thought….

“A moment spent in wonder is worth a lifetime spent in awe.”

Thank you….
  • sam Them strawberries look so vibrant and yum X #mmbc 22 May
  • Ali Duke I have about 4 knitting projects on the go at the moment, I do finish them, but it takes me a while lol. I love... 20 May
  • Craft Mother Especially if the weather is good. It is lovely. 20 May
  • Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) Being full of ideas is a useful skill even if it does mean that a lot of projects stay unfinished! I love your knitting –... 20 May
  • Angela Webster Sounds like a perfect day to me, you live in such a beautiful area. I bet you need no convincing to get out and about.... 20 May
  • Older »

Sticky

Outside

I was caught in the moment. Stood, looking up at my daughter crossing ropes and swinging platforms, strung between the trees, metres above my head, when I heard an insistent voice behind me.

I want to do that. I want to do that now.”

A pre-schooler skipping along the path I was on, had spotted my eldest teen up in the trees. It would be several years before the little girl would be big enough to do the Go Ape course, there is a minimum height and age, but something told me that she was going to be fearless and scale the heights with no problem.

It took me back. In my mind’s eye, I could see my big girl at that age. Once she decided to do something, nothing would stop her. Something that’s not changed over the years. I knew she wouldn’t flinch at the challenge of this tree top course. In fact, I knew none of my three would have a problem. They have climbed trees and hillsides since they could walk. They love rock climbing, and climb mountains like billy goats.

Go Ape is something that’s been on our list for a while. We headed down this week to Dorset for the Moors Valley centre. At 11, 14 and 16 they are the perfect age to start. Safety is taken seriously. They were ready for the challenge. My husband went with them, while I took photos and held on to the hound.

The course took about three hours. When they finally made it down to earth again, they were several inches taller and buzzing.

It has been a week of low tech and outdoors. This week we’ve challenged ourselves to one hour of no electricity each day, which tended to turn into more than an hour. Sounds simple, but thought had to be put into it. We also tried to do activities that furthered our green lifestyle. Greenhouse is now clear and ready for planting. Old school exercise books, about 60, have been recycled. Good paper rescued. Items have been decluttered and passed on thoughtfully.

We’ve had lots of conversations about how we can improve the way we live and avoid impacting the natural resources. I love their passion and determination to make a difference.

What else has happened this week? We had a trip to the Somerset Levels. Took a slightly different path. There is so much to explore and see how it changes with the seasons.

I also finished my jumper. I said it would be ready for the warm weather and the very next day, the temperature rose. I’m sure I’ll have a chance to wear it before long.

The long Easter weekend is rolling out in front of us. Entertaining and family days out may have morphed since they were pre-schoolers, but I welcome the change. Taking them on organized Easter egg hunts is definitely a thing of the past. The Zog trail we saw, barely got a comment. Not that they are against the idea of an Easter egg hunt completely. Apparently they still want one on Sunday in our garden. Chocolate is chocolate after all. They are not daft!

Joining in with Anne’s Word of the week. Seeing as we’ve spent so much time outside, it seems to sum up our week.

Raisie Bay

20 Responses to Outside

• Laurie says:

Ooooh! That Go Ape course looks scary, but fun. A low-tech outdoors week is very appealing. Happy Spring!

• Helena says:

I’d have loved that sort of thing as a child but as an adult I’m more safety conscious. #MMBC

• Anne says:

The Go Ape looks fantastic, I have two children who would love it, but not the others. I think I may have a heart attack just watching 😮 It’s lovely that you’ve been outside a lot and not using electricity, that sounds interesting. (I’ve just had my winter bill and it it’s HUGE) I love your jumper. I just need to put mine together now and do the collar. Then it will go in the wardrobe until Autumn probably. It’s the first item of clothing I’ve made though, so I’m real excited to see how it turns out. Then I’m going back to blankets and amigurumi 😀 Happy Easter x

• Craft Mother says:

The safety kit is really good and they all felt safe. Making sure they moved their safety kit each time, so I wasn’t worried even as half as you imagine. I’m not sure we’ve saved much on the electricity, but it has made them think, which was the point of the exercise. Might be different if we do it in the winter. I’m looking forward to seeing your jumper. I’m sure we’ll have some cooler evenings when we can bring our jumpers out.

• It’s great how confident your kids are, I think a childhood spent outdoors on adventures does your self-confidence the world of good. Go Ape is something I would like to have a go of myself, it looks like so much fun. I think it’s wonderful that your whole family is on board for a greener lifestyle, I always try to recycle, reuse or donate when we have a declutter. Have a lovely Easter weekend x

• Craft Mother says:

I was impressed by Go Ape. They all really enjoyed it. The hour off electricity has been interesting and I’m really pleased at how they all joined in.

• Go Ape always looks like so much fun – we tried the Nets Kingdom last week which is aimed at younger children and Sophie loved it. Glad that your children enjoyed taking on the challenge. I like the idea of trying to have an hour without using electricity each day. Anything that we can do to reduce our consumption of the earth’s resources has got to be a good thing. I love your jumper – what a lovely colour. #WotW

• Craft Mother says:

I watched children on the junior course and it looked fun too. Challenging without being over the top. Glad Sophie had a good time.

• Kim Carberry says:

My girls love the idea of Go Ape. My youngest is fearless but my teen I think would be more cautious. It looks like they all had a fab time.
    It sounds like you have had a great week! That jumper does look fab!
    Have a wonderful Easter x

• Joe was exactly the same when he was little, as soon as he was big enough he did everything he could possibly do, which in turn means I have found myself between the two boys surfing, climbing and swimming with stingrays and sharks! Its crazy how having children changes us, I would never have done those things before. I love how you are all trying to be enviromentaly aware its fantastic although I am not sure how we would fare without electricity for an hour?

• Ojo Henley says:

My 11yo would hate to go on that, but my 16 and 21yo would love it! They are far more daring. May have to suggest it as a bonding day out x

• Lisa G. says:

Your sweater looks beautiful! I hadn’t noticed the interesting cable design on the purple one; I think it shows better on the blue, at least in photos. It’s gotten warm here, too – warm, very rainy and humid. I had to dig out some summery clothing choices for church tomorrow. Things are growing apace outside.

That Going Ape looks like fun (for anyone without a heights problem!). Happy Easter to you and your family. 🙂

• Craft Mother says:

Thank you! I think the cable does show better with the lighter yarn. The children had lots of fun climbing and whizzing. Hope you had a good Easter weekend.

• Carol says:

How wonderful to be confident enough to climb up that high at a young age. I don’t know if I could have ever done it at any age. Love your blue sweater- beautiful color. Hope you had a wonderful Easter. Happy Monday! #MMBC

Photos
There have been cases when people lifted my photos and words, and used them without credit to me or asking permission first. Using them for their own commercial gain. I have now added a level of security to deter people from doing this. Apologies to people who do play nicely. If you would like to use any of my photos, please contact me.