Welcome to our blog.

….. We make
….. We explore
….. We nuture

Three children *** One big, grey dog *** Two parents *** Country loving *** Cottage dwelling in the South-West of the UK. That’s us!

We’ve been blogging, about everyday happenings that bring us joy, since January 2010.

You can find me here
  • RSS Feed for Posts
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Flickr
  • Instagram

Just a thought….

“A moment spent in wonder is worth a lifetime spent in awe.”

Thank you….
  • Merlinda Little The riddles game reminds me of that Tom Hanks film called Da Vinci Code! Its so awesome and sadly I am not very good with... 25 Feb
  • Louisa Your code wheels sound like great fun. My daughter is also fond of riddles and is always testing me with them. I enjoy the thought... 24 Feb
  • Craft Mother Absolutely. It ticks so many boxes but, most importantly, captures their imagination and creativity. Hope your son enjoys it in the future. 24 Feb
  • Craft Mother Never easy, but worth the effort. I need to keep reminding myself. 24 Feb
  • Christy I love the idea of riddle solving and hidden messages. Creative and gets them thinking! I'll definitely be using this when my son is older.... 24 Feb
  • Older »

Sticky

A pot of seeds. A pair of gloves.

There is something about putting the first seeds of the year into their own pot of earth that seems to proclaim that the new growing season has finally begun. Trumpet fanfare, please. In my head, I look at these pots and can see a plant bearing beautiful red fruit, ready to be picked and eaten. I can smell the warm fragrance.

The sun came out for the first time this half term, so we headed up to the potting shed. And then back again. A wee bit too cold still. Not to be defeated, I set up a temporary seed area in the house. Little pots of dirt, labelled and covered. A promise of homegrown food. I cannot wait.

I had help. I finished knitting her fingerless gloves last night, so I think she was that little bit more willing to brave the colder temperature. The second glove took me only one evening to knit, which could be a record for me.

In any case, she helped. I love getting the children involved in gardening. Seems like a life skill they should have before they leave home. I see my legacy as an inability, on their part as adults, to start spring without a row of seed pots, sitting on a windowsill. Watching for the first signs of green breaking through the surface. Maybe comparing notes via email. Whose tomatoes appeared first? Produced the most? Wonderful meals shared together, in the future.

I can but hope.

In the meantime, I’ll encourage them to help. To learn how. To dream.

I’m not sure if they will ever take over the fingerless glove knitting. Maybe I need to knit a trunk full of gloves just in case, so they always have some available. You know. After I’m gone. Images of them visiting the trunk of gloves in an attic, to select a new pair each year, would tickle me pink.

So back to the present. Here’s to a good growing season this year, and glorious homegrown food again. Yum.

Joining in with Deb’s #keepingitreal linky. First one today. Whoo Hoo! Come and join in.

Debs Random Writings
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

14 Responses to A pot of seeds. A pair of gloves.

• Anne says:

I wish I had your green fingers, I’d love to grow my own. I wanted to give it a go but we need raised beds as our soil is rubbish and it’s a nightmare getting my hubby to do anything. I swear, if I could I would do it myself but I can’t bend 🙁 The gloves you knitted are wonderful, my mum used to knit my gloves (Amongst many other things) how I wish I had a chest of her knits to dig into now that she’s gone, what a lovely thought. xx
    #keepingitreal

• Craft Mother says:

Maybe a pot of compost. Tubs of tomatoes by the back door might do well. I’m almost tempted to start on my glove collection. I’d have to add a few humdingers in too. They might try and push the neon lime coloured ones off on each other, each year. Or the minion ones. It could be fun, but also a good opportunity to try different stitches and colour patterns.

• April says:

You are so good. I wish I had been taught more gardening. It wasn’t a skill my mother had either. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Jeanna says:

I love fingerless gloves and these look like good ones. I like the color too. Maybe I’ll start another garden on my balcony this year, if today was any indication spring is right around the corner.

• Wow, I love the gloves! I miss being able to grow things, we won’t manage it this year but hoping to get back to it soon. There is certainly something satisfying about it. #keepingitreal
    Nat.x
    Plutonium Sox recently posted..Thursday photo #197My Profile

• Debbie says:

Hi Cheryl, even someone as non-green fingered as me gets excited when I plant seeds. This week I planted some sweet basil seeds, the pot is on the mantlepiece near the fire as apparently, they do enjoy the warmth. So fingers crossed all round… I’m in two minds whether to plant other seeds as I’m really not sure if I’ll have time to tend to them once summer gets here. If I can talk my husband into laying some sort of underground watering system (black piping and a few holes), then maybe. I hope so as homegrown produce tastes so much better than shop bought… Whoever first created the fingerless glove is my hero! My hands really feel the cold. Your family is so lucky to have a Mum who can knit so fast! When I finish elephant the plan is to have a go at a pair of fingerless gloves. I have a feeling they aren’t going to look as neat as yours!

Thank you for linking up with #keepingitreal.

xx
    Debbie recently posted..Walking The Cape Skinari Coastal TrailMy Profile

• Craft Mother says:

Who says you aren’t green fingered? I love basil. Hope your crop growns well. I like the idea of underground watering. My neighbour uses that method and it stops surface evaporation and slugs to an extent.Crocheted fingerless gloves sound like a good next step. My hands get so cold too.

• I love homegrown produce too. Me and my boy were cleaning out the greenhouse just the other week. I just need some of those wonderful gloves now and I’m ready to go! You are so talented 🙂

Thanks so much for sharing with #MMBC. Have a lovely weekend x

• Kim Carberry says:

We plant things every year but they never seem to grow….lol We will keep trying.
    Those gloves look fab. x #MMBC
    Kim Carberry recently posted..Our Weekly Meal Plan!! – #mealplanningmondayMy Profile

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge

Photos
There have been cases when people lifted my photos and words, and used them without credit to me or asking permission first. Using them for their own commercial gain. I have now added a level of security to deter people from doing this. Apologies to people who do play nicely. If you would like to use any of my photos, please contact me.